Friday, April 25, 2014

It Takes Balls


Remember this guy?  A big delicious pot of risotto...for two people.   I suppose it's time I divulge one of my biggest kitchen problems.  For some reason, I am always compelled to cook enough food for a family of eight, even though it is just for my boyfriend and myself.  It's a problem, I know.  I should get help...or open a soup kitchen.  Until I do something about it, our fridge is perpetually full of leftovers. 

So, what to do.  The risotto is never really the same after it hits the fridge.  What was once creamy is now weirdly goopy.  I just don't have it in me to let that deliciousness go to waste.  Here to save the day:  Arancini.  Or, as I so ineloquently call them, Risotto Balls.  You simply roll your leftover risotto into balls (about the size of a golf ball).  Then you can fill them with a chunk of cheese or maybe even some cooked chicken, or hey, more bacon anyone? 
 

 
 
Once you've rolled and filled your balls, stick 'em in the freezer to set up a bit.  Next, set up a breading station.  In one bowl beat an egg with a couple tablespoons of milk or water.  In another, add some bread crumbs and season them up with salt and pepper (feel free to add any spices you like).  Now remove your balls from the freezer, dip in egg mixture and roll around in breading.  Put them on a cookie sheet and spray with a little cooking spray to help them get crispy.  Bake at 425 degrees for about 10 minutes until they are golden and crispy, but before the cheese oozes out (makes me sadder than when I break the egg yolk).  Serve them with some marinara for dipping for a great snack.  Add a salad and there's dinner.
 
 
Well, hope that helps you clear out some fridge space.  Let me know if you have a favorite way of using up leftovers, cuz my fridge is always full of them.
 
 
Have fun out there--B

No comments:

Post a Comment